Spas are a pampering paradise! They offer so many treatments and services designed to make you look and feel great. One of the fundamental services that a spa will offer is exfoliation services. They can be described as the starting point for many other beauty treatments.
What are exfoliation services?
Exfoliation is the process of removing dead skin cells to rejuvenate the skin.
You may be shocked to learn that the top layer of your skin is made up of dead skin cells. It is recommended that these dead cells are removed to uncover a fresh layer of skin that is healthier and more accepting to products and treatments.
There is a danger of over exfoliating which will leave the skin raw and tender. It is vital to use the correct products or processes to prevent this from happening.
Where can exfoliation services be performed?
They can be performed all over the body. Different techniques are required for different areas of the body. An area to be particularly careful of is your face. It has the most sensitive skin and is prone to irritation if exfoliation is not done right.
How does it work?
There are two different kinds of exfoliation. They work in different ways, but achieve the same end result.
- Mechanical: The skin is physically rubbed to remove the dead skin cells. The skin is rubbed with a body scrub that may contain salt, sugar, coffee or other gritty particles. The skin can also be brushed with a body brush for the same effect.
- Chemical: A serum or peel is applied to the face to loosen the dead skin cells and slough them away.
The types of exfoliation services can you get…
- Microdermabrasion – A relatively gentle mechanical treatment using crystals. It is designed to remove the top layer of skin. It helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles and acne scars.
- Chemical Peel – Using lactic or fruit acid solution, the dead skin cells ‘peel’ off after application. A chemical peel is more effective than microdermabrasion for correcting oily skin, deeper scars or wrinkles. It is always advised to do a patch test on your skin before applying a full treatment in case the solution causes a reaction.
- Dermaplaning – Probably the most intense of the exfoliation services as it literally planes the top layer of skin off with a razor type tool. This service should always be performed by a professional. It leaves the skin looking smooth and youthful.
Why are exfoliation services important?
Exfoliation services are so important for keeping your skin rejuvenated and healthy. Our skin is constantly generating new cells and pushing them to the surface. The dead cells need to be removed to make way for the younger cells.
As we age, our skin cell production slows down. Sometimes the dead cells build up unevenly and give your skin a dull, dry look. Regular exfoliation keeps you looking younger and fresher.
It is really important to recognize when you should engage a professional. Using a mild body scrub at home is a safe and easy way to exfoliate on a regular basis. But when you want a more comprehensive exfoliation service then seek a professional beautician at a spa.