Water – The Life Giving Elixir
Sometimes it is the simplest and taken for granted activities of life that act as a much needed refresher for our life and prove to be beneficial. Drinking water is one such activity that has long been associated with health benefits. For most, it is just an activity to quench their thirst. But what they do not realize is that by doing so, they are also helping in the improvement of overall body health. Drinking water has all of a sudden become a fad and is now being touted for good skin, weight loss and treatment of many common ailments. In fact water therapy is something that has been in existence since ages and continues to be used in many nations like India, China and Japan. Surely when there is even a therapy based on water, there should definitely be some valid evidence and science behind all this.
Water and Human Body
Though the percentages may slightly vary this way or that, it is an accepted fact that the human body is mostly composed of water anywhere between 55 and 80 percent depending on one’s body size. We all have learnt in science that the human body is composed of cells and every cell needs water to function properly. You don’t need any science to tell you that drinking a glass of water when you are tired or exhausted can actually bring life back into your body and energize your mind.
Benefits of Drinking Water
- Water helps to keep your body hydrated that is so necessary for the proper functioning of the vital organs.
- Another established fact is that water helps in improving the functioning of your bowel system and prevents constipation.
- Water is known to be an excellent detoxifier that helps in flushing out the toxins in your body in the form of sweat and urine.
- Drinking water helps to keep your joints and muscles lubricated that in turn helps prevent cramps.
- A well hydrated body helps improve blood flow and in turn makes your skin radiate and look healthier.
- Drinking sufficient quantities of water help keep painful ailments like kidney stones and urinary infections away.
- Water helps maintain your body temperature.
Water – The Unsung Hero
The benefits of drinking water have almost always gone unnoticed till it became a fad. Not for nothing do the doctors suggest you to drink sufficient quantities of water for treating many common ailments. We don’t realize the importance of a glass of water until and unless we find ourselves in a situation where we have no access to it. The very fact that the human body can survive without food, but not without water should tell us how important water is to our lives. It is said that most medicines work well when you have faith in its healing powers. So what stops us from thinking about the good things that our glass of water provides us every time we pick one up? That is certainly food for thought!!