If you are like me and have pets, you know that it’s sometimes hard to keep an eye on them. If you lose sight of them for even 2 minutes that’s enough for them to wreak havoc on all your living room furniture. Therefore it’s often no surprise when you find them sneaking up on your and swipe some of your dinner. However before you let them do that, you should consider whether the food could be potentially harmful to your dogs. There are several common food items in your household that on the surface may seem harmless but in reality could actually do a world of damage to your beloved pet. One of these all too common items is chocolate. Here are some reasons why you should keep your dog away from chocolate:
Chocolate contain ingredients such as theobromine and caffeine which can cause your dog’s heart rate to speed up and also activate their nervous systems. The most toxic form of chocolate comes in the form of cocoa powder so if you happen to spill some on the floor, it may be best to get to it before your dog does. Other forms of chocolate to watch out for are dark chocolate, milk chocolate, semi-sweet or baking chocolate. A general rule of them is that the darker the chocolate the more toxic it is. Also the impact of chocolate on your dog also depends on their size, so if your dog is relatively large, a small piece of chocolate won’t do much harm. If your dog ingests piece of chocolate there are several symptoms that could be a sign of distress, most commonly you may notice your dog starting to vomit, or he may suffer from dehydration, abdominal pains, irregular heartbeat, seizures or change in body temperature. If you notice your dog eating chocolate then it is recommended that you induce vomiting by giving them hydrogen peroxide. However if you are not comfortable doing this then it is best to seek out the help of a veterinary as soon as possible.
The next time you find your dog rummaging through your trash be sure to make sure that he did not inadvertently sneak in a bar of chocolate. That could have severe repercussions and result in a trip to the veterinarian. Often times these things happen in the blink of an eye, so do your part in helping to prevent your pets from accessing food items that could be potentially harmful for them. By training your dogs to obey your commands you can also help stop them from engaging in harmful behavior. At the very least ensure that nay chocolate that is keep in the house is safely secured and out of reach from your dog, so as to not create opportunities for them to access it. While it can seem like a nightmare it does not have to be. With a proper response and swift action the effect on your dog can be harmless. Spend the time to have your emergency contact lined up so that in the event that this does occur, it does not have to be life threatening for your dog.