Often you will get to hear many women complaining about the area around their vagina being dark as compared to the overall skin tone. Why does this happen?
It is not an unnatural phenomenon. This is because there is no exact color of the vagina – it can vary from being light pink to very dark brown to even purple. This variation in colors is absolutely normal. Nevertheless, if you are suffering from certain symptoms, then this change in color can be of concern. For example, if you are itching in that area and it suddenly turns red, then you might be suffering from a rash. Also, vaginal infections can cause a change in color.
Similarly, often your vagina gets darker when you are sexually aroused. This is also normal. When one gets sexually aroused, a copious amount of blood flows to the vagina leading to the swelling of the vaginal tissue. This darkens the color of the clitoris and the inner lips. This is fascinating for many women.
Again, several women complain of darkening of vagina over time. That is also normal. As we get older, several changes happen in our bodies. There can be several other reasons for your skin getting darker down there. The causes can be:
- Use of certain products like talcum powder can gradually lead to a color change.
- Imbalance of hormones
- Vitamin deficiency
- Hereditary factors
- Weight gain
- Frequent shaving of the vaginal area
- Use of a new product
- Too-tight undergarments and clothing
- More serious problems like PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), gastric cancer, infections, hypothyroidism, excess melanin production etc.
Although the answers to ‘why your skin gets dark down there’ are generally normal explanations, many women want to lighten that area. Here are some of the home remedies.
- Regular use of cotton undergarments
- Maintaining proper body weight
- Drinking 6-8 glasses of water daily along with fresh fruits
- Avoid using hair removal creams and talcum powder
- Exfoliating the area regularly with a mix of oatmeal and yogurt.
- Applying a paste of orange peel powder and yogurt
- Use of fresh lemon juice on that area
- Make a mixture with gram flour, milk and a few drops of lemon juice. Apply it for 20 minutes and wash off. It is an excellent skin lightener.
- Apply a paste of yogurt and lime juice on the groin area and leave for 20 minutes. Do it regularly.
- Alternatively, rubbing tomatoes or papaya on the area helps in lightening the skin.
- Rubbing potato slices can also lighten the area and reduce inflammation.
- Crush a few mint leaves and mix it with lemon juice. Apply it in the area and leave on for 15 minutes and then rinse away.
However, you need to be really patient for these remedies to work.
It can be a situation of alarm at certain times; when there is discoloration in other parts of your body as well, such as in the underarm, fold of the neck etc. This might indicate that you are suffering from acanthosis nigricans, a condition of the skin indicating problems of internal organs. Similarly, if there is unusual discharge, fever or itching, then you might be suffering from an infection in the vagina. In such cases, you should consult a doctor without much delay.