Dandruff is characterized by dry and itchy scalp. If left untreated, it may worsen and leave scaly patches on the scalp. There are a lot of ways to combat the dandruff problem.
Natural ways to treat dandruff:
Here are a few home remedies to treat dandruff with natural ingredients-
- Fenugreek isn’t just for the kitchen:The amino acids rich in fenugreek seeds can help remove dead cells and can make the hair healthy and strong. Soak the seeds in water overnight. Grind it to a paste and apply on the hair and scalp. Wash it off with a mild hair cleanser.
- Lemons are the best natural cleansers:The citric acid in lemon can help break down the dandruff causing fungus. Apply some lemon juice on your scalp. Wash it off after a few minutes.
- Neem to the rescue:The antibacterial and antiseptic properties of neem leaves are widely known. They can destroy the fungus that causes dandruff and it also helps alleviate the itchiness. You could make a paste of the neem leaves and apply on your scalp. Wash it off after an hour. You could also soak neem leaves in hot water and leave it to soak overnight. Wash your hair with this water the next morning.
- The “Aloe Vera” relief:The cool aloe vera gel can help soothe burns and wounds. It can also soothe your itchiness caused by dandruff. Not just that, aloe vera can help slow down the growth rate of cells. Dandruff occurs when some cells grow too fast and disintegrate too fast. So aloe vera can help relieve dandruff. Apply aloe gel on your scalp few minutes washing your hair.
Other home remedies for dandruff:
Here are few more home remedies to help treat dandruff-
- Salt:The abrasive nature of salt can help exfoliate the scalp. This helps remove the dead cells flaking and forming dandruff. Massage a little salt on your scalp when it is a little wet. Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
- Tea tree oil:The medicinal values of the tea tree oil make it almost indispensable in treating several types of skin ailments. The anti-fungal property of the oil can work on dandruff. The oil also soothes the itchiness of the scalp. Dilute a few drops of tea tree oil in warm water in a spray bottle. After washing your hair, spray the diluted oil on your scalp and massage it gently. Leave it on.
- Apple cider vinegar:Vinegar, as well as apple cider vinegar, can help relieve dandruff. It helps remove the dead cells clogging the scalp pores. Vinegar is also known for its anti-fungal properties. Dilute vinegar in water and pour this on your hair and scalp. Brush your hair gently and then wash it off. Do not use a shampoo for the next 8 hours. Keep in mind the pungent smell of vinegar.
- Coconut oil:Coconut oil can moisturize the scalp. This can help reduce the itchiness. Massage your hair with coconut oil either separately or mixed with a few drops of lemon juice. Leave on the scalp for a few minutes and then wash off. When you repeat this 2 or 3 times a week you will see dandruff slowly reduce. But remember that the excess oil deposit on the scalp can also cause dandruff.
There are several dandruff relief methods which use natural ingredients at home. The time it takes to treat dandruff fully might take time. But these natural ingredients are safe to use and have no side effects. So they are much better than the chemical dandruff treatment methods.